View my DNA at bighugelabs.com

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

irony

I've stopped drinking Smart. It was killing me. My insides hurt after each bottle. So I bought some "apple tea" at the store. It's just apple cider. It's not as good.

When my mom was here she was surprised at how crowded it was. We went to the ballet in Shanghai. People had brought their kids who were assembling models and running around the aisles. They laughed when intermission was announced and used their cell phone to take pictures of the performance. They talked the entire way through. I listened to a 10-minute conversation between a women and her son sitting behind me about whether one of the performers was a man or a women. It also surprised my mother how little culture the Chinese had.

I don't lie to you. Everything I say in this blog is the truth. Except that the snake baijiu is actually called bujiu and it's made from ginger. They think it's good for your back. Also, baijiu is not made from rice, it's made from some other grain, like wheat or something. I may have lied about something else, but everything else is the truth. My editorial staff is on the ball.

There are a bunch of new foreigners at my university. I've heard through the grapevine that they're from Canada. I haven't spoken to any of them. I no longer live here in my mind. It just pisses me off that I noticed a bunch of new foreigners, and are actually calling them foreigners. I'm going to Shanghai for the weekend tomorrow to apartment hunt.

Nothing else to write about. This is mostly an "I'm still alive (barely)" post. I'm going to go watch some more Sex and the City. I know I shouldn't but there's nothing else to do. I just spent the whole morning trying to explain irony to a bunch of Chinese. Nope, nothing at all.

No comments: