View my DNA at bighugelabs.com

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

bamboo

I have been watching Sex and the City for about 48 hours straight. I managed to find the entire bootleg collection on the streets of Shanghai and am now vicariously living in the DVD metropolis.

I only took a short break from watching today to have a class, which I let out early to get a haircut. That was good. I don't know why I decided to get my hair cut in Lin'an when I could have had it cut in Shanghai last week, but I just couldn't procrastinate any more. I went to the local stylist out the back gate of my university. My man was dressed all in black with a simple grey and white boa wrapped around him, and of course, not gay at all. As soon as I sat down in the chair everyone else came over to me and started petting my hair. I'm not kidding. I literally had four people surrounding me and picking up my hair and twirling it in their fingers and stuff.

Anyway, eventually they all got off me and I think the cut went okay, despite the fact that my hair was completely and totally dry. With my hair it doesn't matter. Unless one side is half the length of the other, you won't notice anything is different. Seriously, it's looked the same since I was 4. I'm not kidding at all. I think after I left they collected the hair on the ground as souvenirs. I think you get arrested for that elsewhere in the world.

As I was leaving my stylist I stopped to buy some tomatoes and cucumbers at the vegetable stalls. I also picked up a bamboo shoot to gnaw on. Bamboo, like celery, is one of the few foods where you burn more calories eating it, than exist in the food. There are a lot of chewy bits. I prefer bamboo to celery though. I like walking down the street chomping on something that could double as a walking stick.

When I got home, I turned on the sex again and continued to chew on my cane. Let me tell you, when you're stuck in a crap suburb in China, the best remedy isn't non-stop, half-hour blurts of parties, cocktails, city, fashion, rich men, and of course sex. No, this is the last thing I should be doing.

No comments: