View my DNA at bighugelabs.com

Tuesday, April 05, 2005

La Chine du Vin Blanc

I am completely and totally bored with my own blog. I quit. I'm done. No more. It bores me to think about it.

I'm a little on edge right now for some reason. I just got back from dinner. I didn't have any "Chinese White Wine" at dinner. Otherwise known as Baijiu or 白酒 or hell, but I'm still thinking about the baijiu from Sunday, well not really, but I did have a little to drink at dinner and now I'm trying to incorporate this into a Chinese lesson or theme, as per my blog or whatever.

So anyway, Baijiu, is this chinese rice wine. Kind of like sake but not at all. More like rubbing alcohol. You can buy really nice, expensive baijiu in pretty bottles, or you can buy it in a bag, or you can bring your own bottle to the store and they'll fill it for you from a big cask, i guess, of mutual baijiu. Like the house I was at on sunday, the baijiu I drank came from a sprite bottle, though I'm sure not originally. Anyway, irregardless of where you buy it, it all tastes exactly the same. Like burning.

Alright, so when we were all kids, we remember the first time we had something to drink. We were like, "this is disgusting, I'm never going to drink", of if you were like me you just corked open another bottle and kept drinking for the next 20 years. Anyway, we all get past the 'alcohol is gross' stage and learn to go out and drink socially and enjoy our wines and scotches and vodkas, etc etc. I will never learn to socially enjoy baijiu. I shudder thinking about it. It really is like drinking hell. It smells and tastes like rubbing alcohol, although I've never tasted rubbing alcohol, I actually think rubbing alcohol probably tastes better. And it gets worse.

They put animals in it. Seriously, they distill animals in baijiu, like snakes. You see them all around china. Little bottles with snakes floating in them in restraunts. I know you're going, "that's unbelievable/disgusting" right now, and it is. Only one day you'll find yourself, eating duck and drinking beer, happily chatting away and decide to give it a go. As soon as you shoot that jiu you realize the mistake of your life. Because you look around at every one else at the table and realize the expression of horror and death on their faces is the exact expression you are making.

Anyway, I'm not sure what the point of this blog is, but if you've never been to China and you come, you'll inevitably drink some baijiu. Someone will say 'gan bei!' and you'll throw it back and want to cry, and they'll all laugh and fill up your cup again, and you'll keep doing it, and want to cry more and more and not know why and then you'll wake up and realize you're still in the People's Republic of China.

So anyway, I'm going to go clean my apartment with all this energy, or burn it down, or just jump around for a while. Maybe I'll go buy some baijiu and mix it with msg.

No comments: