View my DNA at bighugelabs.com

Friday, November 18, 2005

the dam

I've recently installed Google Analytics on my blog so I can spy on everyone who visits, but so far it's produced no data. This leads me to the only conclusion possible - that nobody is actually reading my blog. That's okay, I'll still keep typing away to myself.

I'm waiting for my brother to return from Yangshuo. He's been in China almost two weeks now. He was up in BJ for a couple days and was down here for a week before I told him he should probably leave and see another bit of China. It's easy to get wrapped up in the eating/drinking/lazy life of Shanghai for a week or, hmmmm 6 months or so.

Anyway, if he's smarter than me he won't return. I've only received one text message from him since he got there, "This place is like Chinese Amsterdam." I'm not so sure I'd call it an Amsterdam. It's a much smaller town, and the electronic music scene is nowhere close to what is produced in The Netherlands.

I've discovered what pisses me off about places that are normally hot or warm getting cold. This happened in Sydney as well. Like, it's definitely cold right now, but it has none of the usual cold indicators. For example, I can't see my breath. Since I grew up in a place where we had to scrape ice off our car windows and wake up early to shovel snow so we could get to school on time (I actually never woke up early, I opted on being late and blaming the snow instead), I feel like I really shouldn't complain. But I'm still damn cold. Of course, I'm not wearing a sweater or anything heavy right now, so I guess I can't really complain, but Shanghai should be warm.

Okay, I'm just killing time online now. I would go watch a DVD, but I've seen every DVD made by man, and even some that aren't supposed to be made. Actually, most of them were never supposed to be made. Thanks to ridiculously cheap, pirated DVDs, I've had access to an array of shows. Even the deaf/mute couple at the end of the ally were burning DVDs and VCDs while I sat there. I don't even like movies. I'm not restricted to just movies though. I've also seen every television show made in the past 5 years. The TV shows are actually more dangerous. Because it doesn't take up just an hour of your time. You sit down to watch one, and twelve hours later you're still watching the first series.

Whatever, I'll figure out something to do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I've been reading your blog for a couple of weeks now (I think)... can't remember quite how I got here - I think it was some random photo on Flickr, but anyway, it is interesting to hear about everyday life for you in China, so you've got at least one reader!