View my DNA at bighugelabs.com

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

The World on Time

I was almost run over by a FedEx truck the other day. Every time I step foot on the streets here, someone is always trying to run me down, either by a car, bike, moped, or general inconsiderate walking. I only took note of the FedEx truck because I hope whatever packages were in it actually got there in time.

Walking on the streets here I'm always confronted with near death experiences. The other day I was walking on the street when a window fell from what looked like a perfectly stable building and smashed on the sidewalk in front of me. Other times crates, dangerously piled up, have decided to fall across my path and spill into the street. Today was a new one. I was walking by a construction zone (not unusual, my neighborhood has changed 3 times since I've been here. I'm waiting to wake up one day and be in a completely new building) and some people were welding something on a building. I reached my arm to scratch my back and about three sparks flew in between the 'V' my arm created. There's nothing I can do about this. Just keep walking.

When people are new in China, they're shocked at how close I walk to traffic. I head straight into oncoming cars with no fear. If you want to get anywhere, it's the only way to do it.

I only mention this in case I meet my death by being crushed by a Haier billboard or some other untimely accident. If this is the case I want both my eulogy and epitaph to be "She knew it was coming."

I was sitting on my balcony this evening, enjoying my limited, smog filled view of the bund. There were cars honking all over the city, about seven people yelling on their cell phones 17 floors below me, some guy ringing a bell for no apparent reason, 10 televisions turned up way beyond necessary, a couple jack hammers, and about 20 other noises that could be declared the most annoying in the world. I've become numb to all of them, but when my roommates alarm went off, I couldn't stand it. I think an alarm clock must be the most annoying noise in the world. I can't stand any of them. The one set on my phone drives me crazy. Once I was in Brookstone and one of their alarms went off. I ran around the store trying to find the source and shut it up.

It's the little things you have to worry about.

No comments: