View my DNA at bighugelabs.com

Monday, July 25, 2005

Who is gay in China?

So apparently there's another 'mystery bug' spreading around China and killing people. Unfortunately for me, and probably everyone in China, all the information concerning it is on BBC news, thus I am unable to access it. Should be interesting. I'm insured.

So I was teaching my Chinese MD last week. We started talking about the state of the world and what not. Anyway, he started laughing (actually leaning back, holding his stomach, laughing out loud) about the bombings in London. The first set he was indifferent to, but the second ignited something greater in him.

"Britain is supposed to be a world power! hahahaha! But they've been bombed!!! hahahahaha! Twice!!!!! hahahaha."

I said nothing and just sat there and looked at him suppressing every desire to say, "Millions of Chinese die in industrial accidents every year. Your government suppresses uprising due to problems relating to excessive industrial and economic growth. All your government officials are corrupt and embezzle from your own state banks. Yet you call yourself a developing country. You'll never get the -ing changed to an -ed, unless there's an under in front of it. You're growth bubble will burst and you'll all drop like flies. And we won't even laugh at you - well I probably will - but the other countries will help you." Like the Chinese, I'm not British; however, unlike the Chinese, I am human.

Anyway, of course I didn't say any of that because he probably wouldn't have understood it anyway. So I assigned Churchill's Iron Curtain speech instead. Back in the good old days when it was okay to talk about the English speaking countries binding together to control the world and China was referred to as Manchuria.

Anyway, this is just a bitter Chinese rant. I was actually having a 'like China' week last week. I don't remember why. I think because I was watching "Farwell My Concubine" and it sort of makes China look interesting. Which leads me to another story. My MD gave me FMC to watch and practice my Chinese. He was telling me how one of the actors had killed himself because he had a mental disorder. Later that week I was reading the City Weekend which had the article 'Who's Gay in China?' (apparently everyone.) Anyway, according to the article the actor killed himself b/c of the gay rumors going around about him. Go China!

No comments: