View my DNA at bighugelabs.com

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

iChina

They have a drink here called Smart. It's made by Coca Cola, but I think it's probably banned in the rest of the world. It's green apple flavored, and I'm totally addicted to it. Fanta has another version, but I drink the Smart because I like the packaging (and once I get a camera working, I'll have a picture up.) Anyway, it only just occured to me the other day that it is green. Which probably isn't good for me at all. That's why I don't like Mountain Dew, plus Mountain Dew is just absolutely disgusting. But I guess I suck down green tea pretty regularly under the assumption that it's good for me.

Anyway, this brings me to my other favorite Apple, I found out the other day that I can get iTunes music store in China. This really suprised me because I couldn't get it when I was in the UK because it wasn't available to them yet, and I couldn't get in Australia either, because they don't have it at all. So apparantly BBC news, the Washington Post, and my blog are all of limits, but I'm free to waste my time on iTunes. However, when a DVD costs 99cents, paying that for a song seems like a bit of a rip off. So after about 2 hours using up my remaining music store gift certificates on music that will probably just end up depressing me and ruining my life anyway (note: since my internet connection is so slow, I only downloaded about 4 songs in this period) I ended up at various independent label websites, downloading free music that will definitely depress me and ruin my life. Then I got annoyed that I'd wasted half a day downloading music I shouldn't be listening to anyway because I should be studying Chinese, so that led me to various Chinese punk downloads... So now I have a bunch of depressing indie music and Chinese punk on my playlist. Very necessary.

Also, I think China is sucking the life out of everything I own. First it was my camera, and now my iPod doesn't seem to be doing so well. If it dies on me, I'm starting another revolution in China. Also, I may lose my computer soon because this connection is so slow I end up blaming my computer. But I can't stay mad at my little mac for too long. Actually, I'm getting a new one soon, but I'm holding out. I always get a feeling when Apple is about to release something really cool. Like I sensed the titaniums coming out, I could sense the iPod, and now I'm getting that feeling again. Like the invisible Powerbook or something.

Anyway, I'll leave you with a short Chinese lesson and those funny Chinese. 交际 (jiaoji) means communication. Only someone, who I think must have a crazy sense of humor, has decided to translate it as social intercourse in every chinese/english english/chinese dictionary. Which, of course is accurate, communication is social intercourse. Technically.
Anyway, my students have shortened this to just intercourse. I asked them what they thought the most difficult think would be in coming to a new country. Intercourse.

1 comment:

benstraw said...

Yes, Intercourse is one of the most difficult things to deal with when entering a new country. Your students are very wise indeed!