View my DNA at bighugelabs.com

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

temporary

I am a temp.

“Yeah, big deal Nicole. Nobody cares.”

I know. Lots of people temp. Lots of people temp regularly. I didn’t want to be that person, but it appears that without trying I have been a temp on and off for the past 7 years of my life. That actually adds up to having temping be something I’ve done more than anything else. Depressing really.

So how did I get drawn in. I need money. Everyone knows that finding a job is hell. The temp agencies take care of everything. The pay, the interview, arranging a time. Too easy. Right?

Let me take you through a typical day.

I get in to the ‘office’ (a computer lab at RMIT that is closed while we’re there) at about 9:05ish. I then check my email and read Google News. At around 9:15/20ish I go up and get my work for the first part of the day. I then come back to my desk, read some more news, see if anyone interesting is online and briefly search for jobs. After I’ve done this for another 5-10 minutes, I get up and make a cup of tea. I then wait for the tea bag to infuse and wonder around for another 5 minutes or so blowing on my tea trying to cool it down.

I begin doing actual work at about 9:45ish. I enroll students for their courses. It’s amazingly boring and right now they don’t have enough work for all the temps they hired, so the longer I take to add the students, the longer I get to stay at work and be paid.

Anyway, between checking my email, reading the news, wondering around making tea and going to the bathroom, I probably only do real work for about an hour a day.

What you may be saying to yourself right now is something along the lines of, “Well Nicole, that’s why you’re a temp.” But really it’s not my fault. If they had work for me to do, I’d be happy to do it quickly and efficiently. If it’s a job I enjoy doing, no worries. I love doing work that is interesting. Or where I feel I’m actually accomplishing something.

This doesn’t really happen in temp jobs. So, if any potential employers are reading this, don’t worry, I work hard. Look at my resume, I have to. Unless you plan on giving me mindless data entry work to do, then I might not work so hard. And, I wouldn’t have applied to you through anything but a temp agency at that point anyway.

Whatever, this assignment was supposed to be four weeks long. We had four days of training the first week. The second week I missed four day because I had a conference in Canberra I got a scholarship for (so really I can’t complain much since they let me come back to work after calling in sick for 4 days.) This past week was boring, and I already finished off Monday and Tuesday. They told most of the people not to come in tomorrow, but I stuck around long enough so they found something for me to do tomorrow and the rest of the week. And we have a half-day of work on Friday. So really, I only have two and a half days left.

I can live with that.

*Christ, I was just reading this over and realized that if a potential employer ever came across this blog, I should be worried about a lot more than this post. Oh well. Laugh employer, laugh. You know you want to. Not at me, dear god not at me, but at life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Temping made me understand the beauty of Office Space:

Slydell: You see, what we're trying to do is get a feeling for how people spend their time at work so if you would, would you walk us through a typical day, for you?
Peter Gibbons: Yeah.
Bob Slydell: Great.
Peter Gibbons: Well, I generally come in at least fifteen minutes late, ah, I use the side door - that way Lumbergh can't see me, heh - after that I sorta space out for an hour.
Bob Porter: Da-uh? Space out?
Peter Gibbons: Yeah, I just stare at my desk, but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch too, I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.